Thursday, January 13, 2011

My last Cigarette...

One second thought maybe he should punch me
 The other day I was reading Freakonomics. In a chapter about parenting, parents were asked whether they felt safer if their child were at a friends house whose parents had a gun under lock and key compared to a friends house with a swimming pool. A resounding amount of parents said swimming pool even though statistics show that a child is at greater risk from drowning than from an accidental gunshot wound. According to social scientist/economist, people are hardwired to take into account the immediate danger.
  Which brings me to my last cigarette. Right now my body is craving my last cigarette and I imagine that the last cigarette craving will never go away. According to my grandfather, who quit smoking in his 20s, you will always have the taste for one in your mouth. Besides the obvious fact that I'm addicted to them, cigarettes posed no immediate dangers. I've smoked cigarettes for 4 years now and I never once thought about the dangers seriously. My mom thought that I would stop because I'm normally pretty good at avoiding detrimental activities all together but cigarettes are different. To be honest I don't know why I started in the first place.
  My good friend Pinnacle told me that every time I have a cig craving he would punch me in the face.Initially it sounded like an amazing idea. How could he be so kind! I might have been a little tipsy but I retracted because...it would hurt like hell! Secondly, I'm not a very attractive guy so a few punches to the face would not look good on the physical attractiveness scale. So here is a toast to my last cigarette (but not my last Black and Mild). I leave my once fellow smokers with this documentary.

1 comment:

  1. Denise is bringing me an economy-sized pack of Blacks...just saying. And WHOSE not attractive??!! Hush yo mouf.

    ReplyDelete

Spam is not allowed!