Friday, January 14, 2011

Get Off Facebook?

   I remember standing outside with Rose Gardiner waiting to go on and do my standup routine. A few minutes before I went on Ross walks up with a cigarette in his mouth and a bag full of poster boards. He was a little on edge. In his thick Scottish(?) accent he said to me "Reggie, this shit better work!" Having seen him perform the week before, he had nothing to worry about.
   After I finished my routine he went up and did the bit in the video and the audience went wild. The audience knew that it was sly shot at Facebook but it was simply a joke. I loled so hard and then became a little jealous because I hadn't come up with the idea. This morning I got a video on facebook saying "you need to get off facebook." I was thinking, is the government tracking me or some shit? I wonder if they somehow I stole a Source Magazine. I was kinda nervous.
   I was pleased to see Ross' face on the video and his bit about facebook. It went up on YouTube a month ago and has over six hundred thousand hits. The video produced by Sonny Side Films has 8, 400 likes and only 344 dislikes (facebook needs a dislike button). Yet some of the comments were a bit disturbing and people seem to forget it was all in the name of comedy. One user said:
"Anyone who actually follows this and deletes their account on facebook is a sheep who's just following others like a lost child, if you don't want to follow the norm, then sure! delete your account. But your just falling into another norm of people trying not to follow the norm... You're fucked if you do, and you're fucked if you don't. Express yourself in a way that actually matters. Not on trivial things like deleting your facebook account.
Do me a favor and like this if you agree."
   Another person wrote in favor of the video:
"I definitely agree with what he's saying in this video. dude makes a hell of a lot of good points, even while leaving out that facebook shares your information, photos, and profiles with people all over the world without your consent. However, I have found facebook to also be a valuable tool for networking. I've found new musical venues, bands, and bars through it. It helps me keep track of local concerts and events that interest me."
The strange thing about producing a project for the world to see is that it becomes something it was never intended to be. I don't believe Ross was looking to tell people how evil Facebook is and why they should leave the social networking site (just kidding facebook, don't band/taser me). It was all for shits and giggles but once you put a product into the public arena it is free to be interpreted as the public sees fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam is not allowed!