Monday, February 28, 2011

Girls are ruthless!

  I used to teach kindergarten in a rural town called Deokso 덕소. It should have been suburbian Seoul since it was located just 15/20 minutes away from Seoul. I'm sure, all the derelicts were banished to this small town. But that's beside the point.  When I taught there, I had these two girls in my class who were about four years old fight everyday for my attention. It was actually really creepy to see these girls do evil shit to each other. 
:16 and then the step over
  One day, let's say, Amy was leaning on my shoulder while I was grading her paper. Elaine came outta nowhere and slammed Amy to the ground! Then Elaine stepped over Amy like Dwayne Wade did to Varejao after dunking in his face! And then said that's how you get the teacher's attention! After the step over she nestled up on my shoulder and gave me the cute little epileptic eye blink akin to Walter Disney's female characters.  I wanted to laugh but I was also like DAYUM!
  I was talking with AK 47 about girls so young trying to get attention from males.  I noticed that the boys cling to the female teachers. And really don't give a shit about me until it's time to do boy stuff. Then of course, they love me.  Since she did major in early childhood developement she informed me that children as young as three begin to show sexual preference.
  This morning when I can into work Hillary, my four year old student wanted to show me that she got her nails painted, that she got a new piece of plastic jewelery and she was wearing her favorite dress.  This is the child that claims that I like Lee Yeon (her nemesis) better. Maybe I do.  Then Lee Yeon walks into the classroom, wearing a new outfit. She also wanted me to what she was wearing.  Oh how I wish adult women would be so upfront....but thats another blog.
  The thing I found remarkable in both situations was that in the latter scenario the other girl felt outclassed and just gracefully bowed out. Still I watched her looking for her chance to play with Reggie Teacher.  In the former scenario one student didn't give a fuck about the other student and slammed her showing me that either she was crazy or that she would fight for what she wanted. Or both.  I've seen this kinda behavior within both sexes but it is strange to see it in children as young as four. 
  For example my student Hillary forces me to do stuff I don't want to do like look at maps and point out where I live in America and where we are in Korea.  She forces me to talk to my mom on the phone and we pretends to go and visit her. When the boys wanna play she says no then she says yes but under one condition...she has to be there.  All the boys are looking weird and I'm simply apologizing with my eyes. When I finally let her know she is smothering me she gets weird but she always comes back around. Kinda sounds familiar right. She is simple exhibiting the same behavior we adults engage in. It makes me wonder if gender roles/behavior are pure genetics or are children picking up social cues during thier early stages of developement.

2 comments:

  1. BBBHHHHAAAAA!!! All I can do is laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. R.e. your last sentence. Read "The Blank Slate" by Stephen Pinker. All will be revealed...

    ReplyDelete

Spam is not allowed!