Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Case of the Infamous N!gger Part 1

 When I was in college I wrote a review about the book entitled Nigger by Randall Kennedy. My English advisor Dr. Urwiller was a white dude from a farm in Nebraska and the look on his face when he saw my title was priceless. Probably similar to yours when you saw the title to this blog. Unintentionally, I had made it impossible for him to say my title aloud. Or around other black people.  Underneath my facsade I wanted to say "Urwiller, you ma nigga, I ain't trippin." 
I have always held mixed feelings about the word. In fact I have never been called a nigger by a white person until I came to Korea. In fact,when I was a child, I assumed the word was in everyone's vocabulary. It was as simple as saying "my, man". To me the word was an after thought until...my parents told me the history of the word.
  But the incredible thing about the N-Word was that other people of color are also using the word.  When I was young I didn't really like none black people using the word. Especially white people.  As I got older I understood that the plight of other People of Color (POC) is similar to mine. They too were forced to live in a world that won't allow them to fully assimilate (and allow us to keep our native cultures as well). If only we could have been white like the Polish, Irish and Italians.  Once when I was in Seoul I used to see a young lady from Iran (but has been living in the west since age 7). She quoted Dave Chappelle saying "you might have to fight a nigga a two." I was a little taken aback. I mean obviously the racial slur for Arabs is "sand nigger"  but it felt a little weird. She could sense my uneasiness and said "my people are treated like niggers" or "dune coons" (the later sounds ridiculously funny when vocalized). What was she actually saying? I knew what she was saying but I still felt a twinged in my soul when she uttered the word.
  My current girlfriend is Jewish. In the summer time she looks Italian or Puerto Rican and in the winter she looks Russian.  She is a Jew through and through. Somehow I expect her to use the word but she hasn't except in the occasional rap song. I'm Kidding! The reason I've come to expect it is because people who have endured under such hostile environments have earned the right to use nigga. Or have they?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam is not allowed!