Saturday, May 5, 2012

Social Experiment #1


People of Color/POC

  One dynamic that people of color share (that includes people that are not ethnically European) is the tendency to collectively embrace a member of a particular ethnic group's accomplishments.  Contrary to popular belief, I didn't celebrate the inauguration of Barack Obama with chicken, beer, and watermelon. I celebrated it with chicken, watermelon and mascato wine. In the U.S. ethnic affiliation is necessary simply because people of color (POC) are the minority. Living vicariously through a member of a respective ethnic group gives POC a chance to see themselves in a positive light.
  There are also moment when POC excommunicate members of their respective ethnicity. I have, on numerous occasions, try to excommunicate Flava Flav, the D.C. sniper and Cliff Huxatable. The reason why? People know that society judges them by what they see in the media not by what the reality is. So instead of looking society in the eye and giving them a proverbial middle finger, we apologize to let society know “we are not all like that.” 
  In Korea, I often wonder what do people think of foreigners. Because of my sometimes unsavory experiences with Korean nationals, I’m more concerned with how Korean society views black people. I often wonder what Korean Nationals teach their children about race considering they live in a homogeneous society.  Do they look at black people as a group or as individuals? 
  This is part of a social experiment. I want to know from Korean people what you think of foreigners, mainly of African descent or dark skinned people. I also would like to know why Korean principals are reluctant to hire these same people as teachers (it probably has something to do with my grammatical errors).  From foreigners, I want to know how do you think you are perceived in Korean Culture and how do you perceive it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam is not allowed!