Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Help at your own risk...

  The very first thing I learned when I arrived in Korea four years ago was...never help a Korean woman when she is getting beat the fuck up.  Well, at least help at your own risk.  I remember hearing an argument between a Korean man and a Korean woman. Me being a nosy Negro from the hood went to the window and almost on cue the dude slapped the life outta her.  Instinctively, I wanted to help but someone beat me to the rescue. Thank the God I don't believe in because Jesus Christ! The man and the woman both attacked the hero.
   Once when I was train riding to Itaewon (not paying the fare) I witnessed a man kicking his wife on the low (inconspicuously...as if you could kick someone this way) and murmuring curse words.  He had a son and she looked to be pregnant (I guess the cycle will continue).  The image always stayed with me because I never said anything to the man.  I missed an opportunity to help someone being battered and instead of defusing the situation I sat rebuking his action idly.  Still part of me wonders what happens to the women when an outside source intervenes.  Does the husband or boyfriend go bizerk because when the commotion is done she still has to go home with him?
   One time a friend of mine tried to help a woman because her boyfriend kicked her in the stomach. Guess who side she took when my friend confronted the boyfriend.  Let’s say the only reason my friend wasn't in jail for kicking that dudes ass was because the owner of the bar saw the entire altercation.  My ex girl friend saw a man beating up a woman in Itaewon and nobody stopped to help.  Nobody! I’m sure if the man was a Foreigner a Korean man would have helped out.  The only reason the dude stopped was because he realized that he was stomping her ass out in public.  I told her that the word may be out to refuse help to Korean woman being battered in public. What a fucking shame! There should be no excuse for helping someone unless you live in America.


2 comments:

  1. Sir you present a rather interesting paradox especially, as you aptly explained, when we consider what happens to the woman after the fact. I think I would take the risk nonetheless. It's just how I was raised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of mine is being slapped about by her so called BF and there is nothing i can do to help her because the police don't give a crap and my friend is to scared to ask for help. I feel like i need to get involed but with all the bullshit that goes on in the uk ill be the one who ends up getting locked up or punished.

    ReplyDelete

Spam is not allowed!